Rotation 4 Site Evaluation Reflection

For this rotation, I was able to have one site evaluation in person and one virtually through Blackboard. Both were done in a group with two other students on their Pediatric Medicine rotations. Both times we were able to discuss our general impressions of our rotation sites and pediatrics in general, go over our pharmacological cards (with us, the students, questioning each other about our cards for a change!), and present cases.

I enjoyed my evaluations with Professor Maida; it was nice to be able to discuss topics we learned in his pediatrics course and hear his input on our cases since he is such a seasoned clinician in this specialty. The at the first face-to-face meeting I presented the case of a recurrent MRSA skin abscess in a 15-year-old male (1st write-up in Rotation 4 H&Ps). At the second virtual meeting I was able to present the case of a newborn in the NICU with Turner Syndrome mosaicism and diaper rash (3rd write-up in Rotation 4 H&Ps). I was particularly eager to present this case because this is not a common condition and I was looking forward to feedback concerning how much of the birth history and maternal history to include in the HPI of a newborn in the NICU and really what to include in this setting. I was pleased to get the feedback that I included the appropriate information.

I also really enjoyed hearing the cases my classmates presented as well because it helps review what I know and do not know. The group setting with our professor is great because it also allows us to ask the questions and share doubts we had in the case in a safer-feeling setting; often on site while seeing the patients it might not be appropriate to ask some questions that might raise concerns from the parent or it is just too busy to take time from your preceptor with these questions. Additionally, I get to see perspectives first from my professor, whose knowledge and experiences guide his decision making as a clinician, as well as those of my peers, who might have had different experiences with their preceptors.