Reflection on Clinical Correlations

This course really helped me hone my history taking abilities and allowed me to more effectively build a list of differential diagnoses. At the beginning of the first Clinical Correlations course, I essentially asked all the questions of the ROS, but through the duration of the two semesters, I have been able to target my questions and work-up for the chief complaint, thus more effectively getting to the problem. These skills will be very important for the clinical rotations.

One suggestion I might have for the class in the future is to include more atypical presentations in the cases. We did a few such cases and I thought they were really helpful in really pinpointing the important information that would lead you to the diagnosis.

I would advise future students to not be afraid to be wrong. It is sometimes difficult to ask questions and elicit the right history, and sometimes not everything is pertinent; however, it is very difficult to learn in this class unless you participate. It is much better to make the mistake in class among your peers and learn from it than to feel infinitely more embarrassed in a rotation because you didn’t ask the right questions and missed the point completely.